The Mid West Investment Plan (MWIP)
was developed by the Mid West Development Commission in colaboration with the Department of Regional Development and Lands (RDL) following an
extensive consultation process with key community and government stakeholders over the past 12 months. The MWIP outlines the region’s strategic infrastructure priorities and has become
the region’s 10 year blueprint for enabling economic and social development.
Mid West Investment Plan
The MWIP will guide the spending of $220 million in Royalties for Regions funding over five years, announced in 2011-12 State budget (19 May 2011).
Projects funded under the MWIP will provide a substantial economic stimulus to the region over the five year period and potentially generate employment opportunities for local businesses in the planning, construction and operational stages of the proposed projects/initiatives.
The objectives of the MWIP and the proposed investment in the priority regional projects clearly link to Royalties for Regions objectives and policy.
As of 26 October 2012 the responsibility for the implementation of the Mid West Investment Plan will transfer from RDL to the Commission. Having one entity managing portfolio programs relating to the respective regions will provide better coordination, efficiencies and delivery across Government. The Commission will be responsible for recommending strategic projects for MWIP funding to the Minister and Cabinet as well as monitoring the delivery of funded projects
Please see the links below for the MWIP documentation.
Click here to view as Flip Book
2011 MWIP Master List v1.2 23 May 2011
Successful MWIP projects
Projects announced for funding through the MWIP to date are listed below.
- Murchison Radio-astronomy Observatory power station (Murchison): $10 million ($26.5 million project)
- Depot Hill Springs Crossing Upgrade (Mingenew): $0.64 million ($1.58 million project)
- Morawa Sportsground Facilities Redevelopment: $0.85 million ($2.587 million project)
- East Ogilvie Road Upgrade (Northampton): $1.2 million towards a $2.002 million project
- Morawa Aged Care Units: $0.33 million ($0.83 million project)
- Place Road/Flores Road Intersection Reconfiguration (Greater Geraldton): $2.815 million ($7.3 million project)
- Batavia Coast Marina stage 2 (Greater Geraldton): $3.86 million ($3.86 million project)
- Silver Chain Eneabba Refurbishment: $0.1 million ($0.35 million project)
- Geraldton Universities Centre: $3 million ($3 million project)
- Yalgoo Community Sports Hub: $0.286 million ($2.2 million project)
- Northampton Light Industrial Units: $0.661 million ($1.83 million project)
- Wubin Mullewa Road: $10.8 million ($21.6 million project)
Meekatharra Wiluna Road: $10 million ($20 million project)
Geraldton Airport Landside Development: $2.755 million ($2.755 million project)
Building Better Regional Cities - Urban Expansion Package: $13.97 million ($28.97 million project)
Original Railway Building Restoration: $1 million ($1.85 million project)
Beresford Foreshore: $1 million ($10.655 million project)
Minister's Media releases relating to the MWIP
Mid West road upgrades to begin - 17 April 2013
Geraldton Uni Centre to be expanded - 23 January 2013
Geraldton Roads, Airport, Railway Station funded - 8 January 2013
Funding for roads upgrades in Mid West - 21 August 2012
Mid West Investment Plan funds for new projects - 10 August 2012
Funding for Mid West Infrastructure Projects - 4 May 2012
Intersection upgrade for Geraldton - 24 April 2012
$15.5million power plant boost for SKA bid - 3 November 2011
State Budget 2011-12: Supporting our Community; Building the State (Mid-West) - 19 May 2011